Sunday 8 February 2015

Dogs of War



Here we have a unit of Imperialist Landsknecht pike to add to the ranks, in fact I now have a pike block of just under 100 figures. I don't think it is possible to ever complete a unit of Landsknechts as I just seem to add to them all the time though I expect future efforts will be depicting those in French service.

Painting wise my methods are relatively unchanged. I don't batch paint Landsknechts as I much prefer to paint them as individuals, I feel it gives the unit a much more varied and colourful look. Though in saying that when putting a base together I will check over the previous figures I have completed so there is an even spread of colour and pattern thus there are some figures with garb of two or three colours and others with more intricate combinations.

One relatively new thing (for me) which has really helped with this is Pinterest, if you've never heard of or used it, give it a go for your own painting projects. I found it really helped keep my enthusiasm going, particularly for those times you can't get to the painting desk. Have a look at my Landsknecht boards and try to ignore the urge to paint;



If you need some more inspiration with your Landsknecht projects, have a look at my Landsknecht Painting Guide.

As these are rather colourful chaps, here are some individual photographs;

 








Finally, some Landsknecht eye candy to leave you with, I really like these close up images, you can almost hear the drums, fifes and war cries!




All the best

Stuart

15 comments:

  1. Well, last week at Vapnartak I spent £100 on b****y Landsknechts and I hold YOU personally responsible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha this is a responsibility I don't mind bearing at all, I'm sure the Pinterest boards should get you well on your way !

      Delete
    2. I started a similar project due, in part, to Stuart's excellent work.

      Delete
  2. It's not my period! But these Boys are really stunning painted! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning work as always, Stuart. Your brushwork is like viewing fine Renaissance artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovely work, Stuart! Great basing and composition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Your work is inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly stunning work Stuart !!!

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just stumbled upon you on Pinterest. It's a great site for organization-reminds me of Wally Wood and Jack Kirby, just keeping everything that catches your interest stored away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    Wonderful painting and scenic !!!
    Nikko

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic work as always Stuart! And you even got Mr Amos to buy some figures, very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You paint the best landskechts on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As well executed as always Stuart!

    I love 'em...... more please ;>)

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete