Monday 23 August 2010

Arquebusiers (part two)




Here are the finished units based and ready to go. I'm not the biggest fan of basing miniatures and my procedure so far is an amalgamation of things that i've found to work quite well in the past, such as;

  • using wooden MDF bases which don't warp when wet pva is applied
  • using a base of filler so that the lead bases on each figure do not show through
  • paint and drybrush, followed by
  • scrub and then static grass

I'm still not completely happy with it, I'd like to add other 'tufts' of foliage to represent tall weeds / wild plants or scrub but I can't seem to find the right stuff. I tend to use less grass than usual in an attempt to represent dry italian earth but I still feel that something is lacking, any suggestions?

I have the same amount of marching arquebusiers again, with the same figures but i'll put that on the backburner for now as i'm a bit Landsknechted out!

Next on the workbench will be some more Tudors, quite what I haven't figured out yet as i'm still assembling a perry boxed set (yes, the allied contingent is becoming an army!)

Stuart

4 comments:

  1. looking very good Stuart.
    I think your basing's more than fine. If you want a drier Italian look, what about dry-brushing the grass a straw tone (personally I use Plaka Yellow Ochre - knicked from Kev Dallimore many moons ago)?
    Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Stuart,

    Lovely colours used and the basing looks good.

    Thanks for sharing,

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely stuff Stuart....you have inspired me into this period as well!......what size bases are you using for DBR?....I am thinking about using Impetus for the period.

    cheers

    Jason (Field Marshal on TMP)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips, I think I might have found an answer to my basing needs, namely grass tufts and shrubs by a company called Silflor, here's a UK distributor's site;

    http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/gbu0-catshow/basingmaterials.html

    Jason. The bases are 60x60mm mdf there's quite a few ebay sellers which do these at reasonable prices. DBR infantry bases are meant to be 60x30mm but I tend to double these as it protects the figures a bit more and you've got a bit more room to have fun with positioning.

    Cheers

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete