Sunday 31 December 2017

2017 a Year in Review



Here's a round up of the highlights of my gaming and painting year. I'd say it's perhaps been my busiest and most enjoyable yet with easily the most output by a wide margin. In no particular order;

French cavalry






In this project I worked to double my quota of French cavalry which required Gendarmes, Men at arms and Mounted Archers. The work required ranged from very laboured and intricately painted Gendarmes to converted / sculpted Men at arms and Mounted Archers.

This was a real labour of love which took several months and towards the end as I wanted the figures to be ready for a particular game I really felt the pressure to get them done.

It was certainly worth it as they are perhaps the unit that I am most proud of and they're very imposing on the battlefield. Moreover though it may seem somewhat idiosyncratic I'm especially pleased with the attention to detail and proportions of troop type, they have a historic rather than generic feel to them.  

Landsknechts in French Service







Staying with the French I was keen to have a unit of Landsknechts in French service. I seem to have to be in the Landsknecht zone to get them done but when I'm there I just don't notice the time pass. Again I've paid particular attention to detail and used historic sources. A year doesn't seem right without a Landsknecht project and you can never have too many ! 

Tudor Infantry







Slowly replacing my existing units with those in base coats as well as creating new units has been to my mind a necessity for the Tudor army.

The year began in a fairly laboured manner of converting every figure which took quite a while. However the kind support and encouragement from Oliver James of Steel Fist miniatures led this in a new direction with the creation of the Tudor Dollies which easily halved the time it took to create the figures. This then led to a brief foray into casting and making the figures available for sale. I've been really surprised with how well these have been received and where I've sent packages to.

Carts & Artillery







This was a fun project with multiple diversions. It began as the creation of a converted Tudor heavy bombard which then required a bespoke cart for which I ended up with 3 interchangeable loads. To round it off I then created a scene for a Wargame of pioneers and soldiers working to lift a mired gun from a river.

Wargames














What a year it has been for gaming. Where do I start, well the main focus this year along with Oliver Green has been to playtest and develop our amendments to Lion Rampant which has involved a lot of correspondence and some really fun gaming weekends throughout the year. I've also inflicted this upon Simon Chick both in Home and Away games which was great fun.

Most recently I've gone to the effort of getting some bespoke dice made to add to our games which I'm really looking forward to using.

Moving from skirmishes to big battles I was invited by Michael Perry to Nottingham to take part in an excellent Franco Tudor game in the Summer which was an absolute pleasure and a great social occasion -  I think I even managed it without requiring morning after paracetomol this year !

Last but not least I've had lots of games as part of what I have titled the Jeff's shed Wargames Association here in South Wales. True mini games from a variety of periods with a beer and general catch up.

That's just about everything of note, have a look back over the blog posts of the year if you're interested in more of the detail. It's been a blast and I'm looking forward to where 2018 will take me.

If you're interested in some dice or dollies drop me an email;

stum_23@hotmail.com

18 comments:

  1. Great to look back and you've certainly upped your output & games - bravo to you! Personally looking forward to some Home & Away games in 2018 I hope.
    HNY to you, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I'd be happy with helping in the stock room if you're pressed for time !

      Delete
  2. Great and very inspiring work Stuart! You'd games look smashing.
    I'd be interested in your LR mods, any chance that you'd share them?
    Happy New Year, Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email me and I'll send you a copy of where we've got to buddy

      Delete
  3. Thanks for a truly inspiring blog Stuart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have long followed your blog, gazing in admiration at the beautiful job you do. The period has never interested me, but I can certainly see the appeal now!

    I hope you have a happy and healthy 2018, Stuart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog, miniatures, and conversions are amazing! It has been a joy following your endeavors, and I look forward to another year of doing so. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a tremendous year! While not exactly my period I feel myself drawn back here timaĆ¼e and again in order to marvel at all the wonderful stuff at display here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stuart, it has been a privilege following your fine handiworks throughout 2017. I am looking forward to more in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stuart I have loved watching the development of some of these pieces over the year - a great retrospective. I so much admire your attention to detail and patience. I'm excited to see what 2018 brings here.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was great seeing your marvelous figures and funtastic games, Stuart. Best wishes to you for 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great year! I hope the coming year will be even better. Success 8)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot believe you have painted all those different units in one year, that is really impressive, especially when you add all the conversion and green stuff effort that has gone in as well, not to mention gaming.

    Here's to some more great games and new projects in 2018. Happy New Year mate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Impressive year. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stuart,
    As I have stated before you have a beautiful painting style, especially on the faces. I keep studying the images in an attempt to work out how you achieve the effect on them and also on the hands. It is a far superior technique than the one introduced by Kevin Dallimore, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This project was well worth the effort! of course now you need to do the Flodden campaign. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've had a really productive year all done to your usual high standard, looking forward to the next year's output!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  16. This really is a quite staggering project lovingly executed and wonderfully photographed. I've rarely enjoyed so much having an insight into someone else's wargame world. Congratulations on what you have acheived - I remain hungry to see where you go in 2018 and wish you all the best in what you do.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete