Wednesday 6 June 2012

Raby Castle



I am presently researching some Neville links to the 1513 campaign and whilst visiting some family in County Durham I took a day to look around the former Neville stronghold of Raby Castle.

The castle is still inhabited and only open seasonally but what a magnificent example it is. Full access to the castle and grounds is £10 and well worth it. The majority of the rooms you can view were refurbished in the 1860's but you can still grasp the medieval splendour, something to which the knowledgeable guides in each room are more than happy to enlighten you with - of particular note for me was the role the family (and the castle) played in both the pilgrimage of grace and the failed Northern uprising during the reigns of Henry VIII & Elizabeth I, respectively. Also of note was learning of the life of earlier Nevilles such as Ralph Neville and his exploits over the scots at the battle of Neville's Cross, you can see his superb effigy in Staindrop church a short drive down the road from the castle.

If you're interested, have a look at www.rabycastle.com

The grounds are rather vast and have quite a large deer herd which roam free, a great place for a picnic, if you're lucky enough to get some sun !

2 comments:

  1. I readily agree. My grandfather lived in Cotherstone, a few miles from Barnard Castle. The area is rich in medieval history. It's been a long time since I visited Raby castle (I live in Jersey)but I remember my visit to the castle quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in that area and it's only in the last few years that i've appreciated and made a point of visiting various historical sites which my childhood interests bypassed in view of finding trees to climb!

    ReplyDelete