Sunday, 30 January 2011
I have been experimenting with photography over the past few weeks. Usually I simply take a photograph on the workbench when I have completed a unit; I construct a white box and use 2 angle poised lamps with daylight bulbs as light sources. The results are reasonable and give a good neutral setting to my brushwork but I have found that they can appear somewhat clinical at times.
So, whenever a weekend has had a good, bright start I have set up a scene on the windowsill to take advantage of the natural light, the first such session being the scurrers I did in the last post.
For the most part I paint rather than game and as a result I don't have a great deal of scenery which really is required for large group shots such as these. However, I popped down to Crusade 2011 yesterday and put that right with some cracking bespoke hedgerows from a relatively new company by the name of Hedgerow Scenics. Their website is currently under construction but save it for reference, I thoroughly recommend them and hope these pictures do them a bit of justice;
They make an excellent background and help define the image, plus they look much more natural that a lot of the commercial alternatives out there.
I also purchased some Landsknechts as I intend to paint up a few more units of them this year (I have around 150 unpainted but I can't seem to ignore them !).
This is the centre company of the fahnlein that I'm putting together and in due course I shall have some units with pikes and halberds levelled and zweihanders charging out - I've got a few more Tudor units to do first so I'm not sure when, if you've been following this blog you'll be accustomed to my painting speed!
All the best